DIY Texture Clay Stamps & Soft Slab Projects
This project is designed for teaching clay remotely to students who are learning from home. We will create DIY texture stamps using basic craft materials for use with modeling, air-dry or firing clays. Three different simple hand-building projects will be demonstrated using textured soft slabs.
- Clay: use modeling or craft clay if ceramic clays are not available. Note: Amaco Self-hardening and air dry clays are available at most craft retailers as well as on-line education suppliers.
- Fettling knife / kitchen knife
- Small loop tool / pin in pencil*
- Rubber scraper / plastic gift card
- Needle tool / bamboo skewer
- Plastic wrap
- Paint brush
- Paper plate
*Optional supplies for making a small loop tool:
- Wire cutter
- Long quilting pin
- Pencil with eraser
Download the step-by-step slideshows here:
- Create 2-3 cubes and thick coils of clay and allow to dry to leather-heard for carving into stamps.
- Roll out 1-3 moist slabs of clay (approx. 8x10 each) and cover them with plastic.